Friday, March 23, 2007

Virgil the Triathelete

Dante is a great dog. He has many strengths. Jogging on his leash is not one of them. Some days I blame myself for training his poorly when he was young, but I really think he's just stubborn.
He also has bad hips. Not the full blown dysplastic types seen in too many Goldens, but not normal. He never did like to run on the leash and seems to need a break earlier than the other dogs when playing.

Now Virgil also has his weakness. If you had to rely on him for warmth, then you'd freeze to death because he doesn't cuddle. At least he makes up for it with his tireless fetching and his love for a good jog.

I took him out with me today for my jog and had a blast. I think he had a grin on his face the entire time. This dog just doesn't quite seem happy unless he has wind blowing in his face. My pace wasn't too good today, but it was nice to run with company besides the iPod. And as usual, he was an angel on the leash even with all the traffic at the pre-rush hour time we ran.

I better go get ready for my meeting

No comments: