Saturday, April 22, 2006

Photo radar helps remove reckless AZ driver from road: clocked at 107 MPH

Original Story at: azcentral

I'm a big fan of this result of the photo radar in the East Valley. This story highlights the apprehension of a 19-year-old female driver who was clocked at various times travelling in Scottsdale from 76-107 MPH!

I typically drive about five miles over the speed limit and this places me about an average speed. I don't mind being passed and I don't mind moving over for drivers moving along quicker than I am. However, I definetely do mind when someone zips by me at a ridiculous speed. It's not uncommon to be passed by people driving more than 20 MPH faster than me on the loop 101 where the speed limit is 65!

I agree with the sentiment that photo radar is not a substitute for police officers on the roads. However, if the radar can help the officers catch a few highly dangerous drivers then I'll for it until a better solution is proposed.

Maybe you're an excellent driver with tires speed rated for 100+ MPH and a car capable of safely handing at that speed, well in that case... drive it like it's stolen and try not to kill anyone! As I said before, I'd rather see more officers on the road. I don't know that photo radar is the answer, but I think the highways are more dangerous than they need to be:

"The total economic cost of motor vehicle crashes in 2000 was $230.6 billion. This represents the present value of lifetime costs for 41, 821 fatalities, 5.3 million non-fatal injuries, and 28 million damaged vehicles, in both police-reported and unreported crashes. Lost market productivity accounted for $61 billion of this total, while property damage accounted for nearly as much - $59 billion. Medical expenses totaled $32.6 billion and travel delay accounted for $25.6 billion."

2000 Economic Impact of MVA

No comments: